December 24, 2009

Sketch 6 - Card #2


Time for another quick post before the holidays. Taking my cue from the printed paper for both color and design, I layered a thin loop border on top of the big scallop border (both are Accucut dies). Adhering a silk flower with a pearl center on top of the circles (Marvy punches) completes the look.

Whenever you are feeling "design" or "color" challenged, select a piece of printed paper from your stash that you really like as your starting point.  Disect it (mentally, of course!) for design and color and then simply repeat the elements.  Using the "Rule of 3" will also help you create a pleasing look.  Odd numbers tend to give the illusion of balance and 3 seems to be the right number - not too few, not too many. 

If you look closely at this card, you will see that I have 3 colors - lavendar, dark purple and white.  I also have three elements - loops, scallops and dots/circles.  I could have incorporate another color but the lavendar and the dark purple are at opposite ends of the purple spectrum that they can easily work as two different colors.

I hope you and your loved ones have a safe, happy holiday season!


No comments: